Thursday, June 18, 2009

I don't want to hate your kids, but you leave me no choice...

Ok I know that sounds terrible, but in some ways it's true. I worked in the customer service industry for a number of years and had to deal with children that were less than pleasant...ok they were terrors! I know that it is not the fault of these tiny dictators, their parents did not lay down the law, or if they did they did not have consequences if the child did break the law. These are not easy families to be around. Please know that I am not implying that my kids are perfectly behaved and I've got it together because I do not. But my kids know that when we go out in public there is a code of conduct and should they venture away from the code a swift punishment will be on their bottoms. The thought of it is enough to keep the in line most of the time. Brad and I have found ourselves not becoming friends with people simple because their children were awful. Have you ever noticed that when well behaved kids are around awful kids they start morphing into awful? It's a phenomenon that I wish would swing the other way, but again the parents have decided it's ok to allow their children to make their own decisions. I am telling you no kid has enough brain power to decide how they should act or treat other people. I am quite convinced between the time the baby is born a part of the brain stays dormant until the ages of 16-17 and even when it becomes functional it's only at half the working power. This part of the brain has everything thing to do with social skills. As parents if we do not try to developed this part of the brain it may never mature or even wake up. I've seen this tragedy in adults and they lack the social skills required to function...sad very sad.





Back to the dictators...I have watched it happen time and time again. A family comes in to a restaurant or hair salon and the kids lead the way, tell the parents where they should be sitting, and the demand what they will be having. I have been tempted, at times, to ask if this small human is going to pay for the meal since they are the boss of everything. Out of pity for the parents (even though they created this creature) I do not ask. All I can do is hope that they get fed up and become enforcers instead of doormats.




I have a simple solution for these parents. Just say enough, and then no. The snotty tone that these children insist on using has got to stop, just say enough, then when they tell you what they think they're going to do, just say no. It's easy! Will there be tears, screaming and snot? Absolutely! Your kids will be better for it though, because as we all know you don't get to do whatever you want all the time, unless you live on your own island, by yourself. Huh that might no be a bad idea, let’s give these kids something to aim for. Work hard, make a lot of money, buy your own island, and then go do whatever you want...I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment